ADU – Tiny House – Mother-In-Law Suite

The State of California defines an ADU or “accessory dwelling unit” as a self-contained, residential unit located on the same lot as an existing single-family home. Whether you call it a Tiny House or Mother-in-law Suite, an ADU is smaller in size and must include all of the amenities found in a primary dwelling: a kitchen, bathroom, sleeping area, and storage.

ADUs go by many different synonyms throughout the U.S., including accessory apartments, secondary suites, and granny flats. ADUs can be converted portions of existing homes, additions to new or existing homes, or new stand-alone accessory structures or converted portions of existing stand-alone accessory structures.

Internal, attached, and detached ADUs all have the potential to increase housing affordability (both for homeowners and tenants), create a wider range of housing options within the community, enable seniors to stay near family as they age, and facilitate better use of the existing housing fabric in established neighborhoods. Consequently, many cities and counties have signaled support for ADUs in their plans and adopted zoning regulations that permit ADUs in low-density residential areas.

In Sonoma County, Bielefield Construction Inc. is your go to General Contractor with the expertise to guide you through your vision until it becomes a reality.


DADU- Granny Unit – Tiny House – In-Law Suite

Detached accessory dwelling units (DADU) are small, standalone houses built behind or adjacent to your main home. They allow you to maintain your privacy and all the square footage in your main house while creating extra living space which can be used for family or friends or space to rent out.  While it offers a range of advantages to your property, a DADU project requires a lot of thought and consideration. This unit still requires all the basics of a home, including the bathroom, living room, kitchen, and bedroom.

Most DADUs are around a 1,000 sq ft or less but this type of freestanding little house needs all the basics of a full size home and so requires the expertise and experience of a builder such as Bielefield Construction Inc. right here in Sonoma County. Ray and his team can walk you through the processes with ease to the fulfillment of your vision.


Bob Villa Says:

Of course, it’s also important to insure that tiny house to protect it in the event of damage and theft, as well as protect the owner in the event someone is injured in the home. This type of coverage typically is available through standard homeowners insurance; however, just as a tiny home is not a standard home, insurance for tiny homes is not the same as standard homeowners. Knowing the difference is crucial to finding the best tiny house insurance.

  1. BEST OVERALL: Strategic Insurance Agency
  2. RUNNER-UP: Foremost
  3. BEST FOR BUNDLING: Progressive
  4. BEST DISCOUNTS: American Family Insurance
  5. ALSO CONSIDER: Allstate